I'M GOING TO MICHIGAN!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: I'M GOING TO MICHIGAN!

Post by SDGary on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:24 pm

RockinDeano wrote:Scanner is a must. Rent one at the track if you have to.

And hey, why not go to Indy for the the Brickyard 400?

Unless you want to see the race! Indy's an awesome experience, but you can't see worth a damn. Something to do once maybe.

Something else you might want to try, seeing as how you're so close, is Kentucky Speedway. There's an ARCA and Truck race there next month, and an Indycar race there in August. Speed Channel is giving away 500 garage passes for the Trucks in Michigan. Maybe they're going to do it the rest of the year. Maybe you could get them for Kentucky!
BTW, the Trucks are the best racing in Nascar! Have been pretty much since day one!
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RockinDeano on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:27 pm

I think Indy racing sucks. Those cars are no more sturdy than my 32:1 plastic 48 model on my desk.

Gary, you coming to California Speedway's next race? If so we'll hangout. Lula is into Nascar too.
RockinDeano
Bay City Princess

Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:31 pm

As much as I hate that dump, I haven't missed one yet!
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RockinDeano on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:37 pm

SDGary wrote:As much as I hate that dump, I haven't missed one yet!

Gary, you campout, drive up and back, Metrolink, what? Last year we stayed in a hotel 10 miles away, but really want to experience it this time.
RockinDeano
Bay City Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:55 pm

RockinDeano wrote:

Gary, you campout, drive up and back, Metrolink, what? Last year we stayed in a hotel 10 miles away, but really want to experience it this time.

Well, I normally commute, because it seems like someone different wants to go along every day. This spring, the girlfriend was supposed to be in town to go along (although lucky for her, she could'nt make it to the "24 hours of Fontana"), so I got a hotel in San Bernadino. That's the first time I've done that up there. I've also got a good friend who's got a permanent spot for his motorhome on the front row going into the third turn. So, short story long, I'll probably commute, although that's far from a sure thing. I ALWAYS make time for beer in the parking lot though, if nothing else!
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RockinDeano on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:03 pm

SDGary wrote:
RockinDeano wrote:

Well, I normally commute, because it seems like someone different wants to go along every day. This spring, the girlfriend was supposed to be in town to go along (although lucky for her, she could'nt make it to the "24 hours of Fontana"), so I got a hotel in San Bernadino. That's the first time I've done that up there. I've also got a good friend who's got a permanent spot for his motorhome on the front row going into the third turn. So, short story long, I'll probably commute, although that's far from a sure thing. I ALWAYS make time for beer in the parking lot though, if nothing else!

Can you tent camp or does it have to be Motorhome? I don't have one of those thar things.
RockinDeano
Bay City Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:38 pm

You can tent. Check Craig's list. And wait until late if you can. There's always people trying to get rid of a spot. I'm sure you could steal one cheap! And there is some SERIOUS partying that goes on in the infield. You'll fit right in! lol

BTW, they have showers in there too. And a grocery store. They even deliver pizza!
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RockinDeano on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:19 pm

Done.

Throw up a tent, order pizza and hit Stater Bros. BBQ and booze and bitches and fast fuckin cars.

I am in Goddammit. Stay next to us Gary. We'll get a keg.
RockinDeano
Bay City Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:01 pm

RockinDeano wrote:Done.

Throw up a tent, order pizza and hit Stater Bros. BBQ and booze and bitches and fast fuckin cars.

I am in Goddammit. Stay next to us Gary. We'll get a keg.

Well, there's some details to work out for both of us. Firstly, that dump charges you I think $100 for a weekend wristband for the infield. Plus whatever you pay for the space. Not that bad for the weekend if you're just going in there to stay and watch the race. (You can leave the infield, you just can't get into the grandstand. But truth be known, you can't see it all THAT much better from the grandstand anyway.) I also look ahead on my calendar, and see I'll probably be scheduled to work that Saturday. Good luck finding someone to trade on Labor Day weekend. But, there's time to work things out........
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bookworm on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:17 pm

Where is the Michigan poll? I am getting more and more into car racing thanks to you guys. Smile

Bookworm
Batboy
Batboy

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:47 pm

Bookworm wrote:Where is the Michigan poll? I am getting more and more into car racing thanks to you guys. Smile

I can tell you right now to go with the Roushketeers in Jack's backyard!

I haven't picked my boy Kenseth yet, but I might have to this week.

BTW, Jack Roush is doing the flyover for the Truck race Saturday in his P51.
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bookworm on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:04 pm

SDGary wrote:
Bookworm wrote:Where is the Michigan poll? I am getting more and more into car racing thanks to you guys. Smile

Deano is always talking up the 48 car. Is the 48 special or something, or is it just Deano's favorite?

Bookworm
Batboy
Batboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:54 pm

Bookworm wrote:
SDGary wrote:

Deano is always talking up the 48 car. Is the 48 special or something, or is it just Deano's favorite?

Both.

LOL. Actually, that's Jimmie Johnson, who has won the last two Championships, and truth be known, has probably been the best team for the last four or five years now. But even though they're SOLIDLY in in the top ten (6th), they don't look as invincable as they have in the past.
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ProgRocker53 on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:58 pm

Michigan thoughts, folks?

Dude. This was epic. Fun. Loved it. Boring race through first of the most half, BUT, it was way funner to see it in person than it ever would've been on TV.

GREAT race over the last hundred laps or so.. and very interesting conclusion for sure. Should've been my boy Vickers' race but it was still a good time...

Going back in August with the old man, this time, and doing it right hopefully. Camper, personal scanner, and all. Cool Awesome time.

Some shitty pics are up on my MySpace in the LifeLock 400 album.

ProgRocker53
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 328

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:07 am

ProgRocker53 wrote:Michigan thoughts, folks?

Dude. This was epic. Fun. Loved it. Boring race through first of the most half, BUT, it was way funner to see it in person than it ever would've been on TV.

GREAT race over the last hundred laps or so.. and very interesting conclusion for sure. Should've been my boy Vickers' race but it was still a good time...

Going back in August with the old man, this time, and doing it right hopefully. Camper, personal scanner, and all. Cool Awesome time.

The two main reasons to go to a race in person:
the scanner, so you know what's going on with whoever you want to know about, not just Junior and the other two or three that television talks about,
and you can watch who you want to; not just Junior and the other two or three that television shows you. If your favorite driver gets lapped and is having a shitty day, you can still watch his every move, all day long, if you want to. That's the main reason I like it.

Some of the best racing goes on in the back of the pack, which you hardly ever see on TV. It irks me something fierce when TV shows the leader, or any other driver, for that matter, in a tight one car shot, driving around by himself. That's not racing!

So, did you stay in your seats? Or did you move up high? The front row at a race is not exactly the same as at a concert, huh? lol.
There's SO much more that you'll discover when you go back. I'll give you some tips on using the scanner too if you'd like.
How was traffic? Did you get to see anything before the race?
Vickers, and my man Kenseth definitely had the cars to beat Sunday. And the 88 and 9 figured out a way to beat them. I'm glad you had a good time, but then I knew you would.
We're going to North Carolina this weekend and Monday we're going to be in Charlotte visiting raceshops and the track. I know the Mother of one of Kenseth's pit crew so she's working on a private tour of Kenseth's shop for us!
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ProgRocker53 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:09 pm

SDGary wrote:
ProgRocker53 wrote:Michigan thoughts, folks?

The two main reasons to go to a race in person:
the scanner, so you know what's going on with whoever you want to know about, not just Junior and the other two or three that television talks about,
and you can watch who you want to; not just Junior and the other two or three that television shows you. If your favorite driver gets lapped and is having a shitty day, you can still watch his every move, all day long, if you want to. That's the main reason I like it.

Some of the best racing goes on in the back of the pack, which you hardly ever see on TV. It irks me something fierce when TV shows the leader, or any other driver, for that matter, in a tight one car shot, driving around by himself. That's not racing!

So, did you stay in your seats? Or did you move up high? The front row at a race is not exactly the same as at a concert, huh? lol.
There's SO much more that you'll discover when you go back. I'll give you some tips on using the scanner too if you'd like.
How was traffic? Did you get to see anything before the race?
Vickers, and my man Kenseth definitely had the cars to beat Sunday. And the 88 and 9 figured out a way to beat them. I'm glad you had a good time, but then I knew you would.
We're going to North Carolina this weekend and Monday we're going to be in Charlotte visiting raceshops and the track. I know the Mother of one of Kenseth's pit crew so she's working on a private tour of Kenseth's shop for us!

We thought about moving up higher but our section was one of the few at the track that was actually packed. We thought about walking to a section closer to the frontstretch and getting a high-up seat but didn't want to risk being turned back by the ushers.

I got to the track about 11 o clock... we wandered around the lots talking to other fans for awhile and then went to our seats. There wasn't much in the way of pre-race to see but we had a good time talking to fans and just buzzing in excitement of what was to come.

I LOVED seeing more than just Junior and the leaders. Some of the best racing really was mid-pack and in the back. It seemed like from 20th on back, every lap, these guys would be hurling themselves in and out of the turns, really pushing their grooves and trying to get an advantage.

It was also easy to tell what drivers were trying, and what ones were just phoning it in and collecting points. A.J. Allmendinger and Sam Hornish will be great Cup drivers one day, they won me over as I watched them battle their way from the back to the front with ease and finesse. Brian Vickers is a FIERCE driver and has impeccable control, too.

I could tell five laps before it happened, that Franchitti was going to pop a motor. I could distinctly hear it whirring and humming in a different manner from all the other racers. If he doesn't show much this weekend at Sonoma I wouldn't be surprised if his ride would be in jeopardy.

It seemed like Jeff Gordon, Montoya, Hamlin, and Bowyer just completely MISSED on their setups. Truex Jr., Waltrip, Ragan, Stewart, Nemechek, and Biffle were all clearly RACING on nearly every lap, those guys didn't hold anything back. Kenseth looks 100% racier in person than on TV. He looked GREAT on Sunday.

On the flip side, other drivers came off looking like complete duntards. Mears left me underwhelmed. How he still has a ride at Hendrick is beyond me. Either he completely phoned in his race or he just can't drive... didn't see a competitive pass out of him the whole day. The same thing can be said for Sorenson, Yeley, and ESPECIALLY Scott Riggs. With the #66 team on the 35 Bubble I figured I'd see a rastier race out of him, but all he displayed was epic fail. Terry Labonte and Bill Elliott are shadows of their former selves.. sad to see two of my childhood racing heroes bumping around the track in 30th the whole day just to get a check.

Carpentier and McDowell were both actually trying, even if they were backmarkers most of the race. McDowell always came by in a different line, trying different methods of passing the other backmarkers, experimenting with ideas. He may have failed at this every lap but he put in work. Carpentier seemed to be phoning it in at first but after awhile his lap times looked like they were picking up significantly, it looked like he just cruised around for a bit to get more familiar with the track in race situations and then he just started going for it.

Traffic was very thin on the way there, it was tougher on the way back but not as bad as expected. Good luck landing that Kenseth tour!! When I was younger my family landed private tours of the Rudd, Yates, and Waltrip shops. Alriiiiiiight.

Watching the tape of the race either tonight or tomorrow... and I'm booking tickets to the second Michigan race next week!! May make it down to Martinsville and/or Richmond this year too. I'm definitely hooked.

ProgRocker53
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:38 pm

I have KILLER season tickets at both Martinsville and Richmond. Kenseth's webmaster calls my four Martinsville seats "BEST MARTINSVILLE SEATS EVER!"
And I have six in the new Commonwealth Tower at Richmond.
I don't always use them but they're so good I won't give them up. So I just sell them. Anytime you're thinking about going, let me know.

So you didn't get out amongst the souvenir trailers and displays etc.? You're going to have lots to do in August! lol. That's a little easier to do on Friday or Saturday, when the crowds aren't as large.

Overall though, it sounds like you had a great time. Trust me, it'll get even better when you know a little more what you're doing. I love when we hook another one!
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:50 pm

Hey, I forgot to ask you. And I can't remember from when I was there. (Just two years ago this race. Lots of cells killed over the years. lol.) Did they let you carry in beer?
You can at Martinsville and Richmond. (And others.)
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bookworm on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:42 pm

Deano has got me following this crap! I see the #48 Lowe's car finished 6th. Is that good? I saw ESPN, and he seemed to lead the most laps.

I am into this!

Ron

PS- He is going to come back, I just feel it.

Bookworm
Batboy
Batboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:30 pm

Bookworm wrote:Deano has got me following this crap! I see the #48 Lowe's car finished 6th. Is that good? I saw ESPN, and he seemed to lead the most laps.

I am into this!

Ron

PS- He is going to come back, I just feel it.

Jimmie Johnson, driving the 48, had the fastest car pretty much all during practice leading up to the race. Of course, that doesn't pay anything. You've got to do it in the race.
And in my humble opinion, he did NOT have the fastest car during most of the race. In fact, scoring during the race confirmed that. His team DID, however have the best strategy for most of the race, thereby allowing him to indeed lead the most laps.
In Nascar these days, it's a fine line between being the best and one of the elite. Over the last three or four years, more often than not, this team has been the best. But near the end of Sunday's race, the same team that was good enough to lead the most laps got off just enough to fall back to "elite" status in sixth. It doesn't take much.
But the fastest cars did not win either. Over most of the day, the 83 and 17 were turning the fastest laps. But they only made it up to 4th and 3rd respectively.
Much to the delight of "Junior Nation", the throngs of people who root for the 88 car of Dale Earnhardt Jr., his team had enough luck to go along with their calculated guess about fuel left in his tank, and turned a gamble into victory.
Now, it should be pointed out that the only race the 48 team has won this year was with a similar strategy. BUT, that's one more win than either the 83 or 17 team has yet.
The chess match continues this week on the road course at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma California.
Kyle Busch continues to lead the driver's points standings.
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ProgRocker53 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:41 pm

Where are all the souvenier trailers and displays at? We only saw one or two walking around before the race and they didn't have much of a selection at all.

Also, we didn't try to take in any beer, so we wouldn't know. It sucks being U21. Nine more months!!

ProgRocker53
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:59 pm

ProgRocker53 wrote:Where are all the souvenier trailers and displays at? We only saw one or two walking around before the race and they didn't have much of a selection at all.

Also, we didn't try to take in any beer, so we wouldn't know. It sucks being U21. Nine more months!!

Whoops, sorry about rubbing in the beer thing. lol.
It didn't sound like you had seen the midway, or what ever you want to call it. From behind the main grandstand, all the way out to Brooklyn Highway, is all souvenir rigs etc. They start down near turn four and run almost all the way to the tunnel in turn one. TRUST me, if you had gotten close, you COULD NOT have missed it. EVERY driver has a rig. Junior probably four or five. Plus Chevy, Ford, etc. Sprint. Hooters. Racing Radios probably three trailers selling and renting scanners. I GOTTA believe there's a hundred easy, when you add in all the food stands etc. That's the kind of thing you do on a Friday or Saturday. Just go around and look at all the neat stuff they have. You probably saved yourself a hundred dollars by not finding the Red Bull trailer! lol. It's a GREAT place to people watch too.
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ProgRocker53 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:23 pm

SDGary wrote:
ProgRocker53 wrote:Where are all the souvenier trailers and displays at? We only saw one or two walking around before the race and they didn't have much of a selection at all.

Whoops, sorry about rubbing in the beer thing. lol.
It didn't sound like you had seen the midway, or what ever you want to call it. From behind the main grandstand, all the way out to Brooklyn Highway, is all souvenir rigs etc. They start down near turn four and run almost all the way to the tunnel in turn one. TRUST me, if you had gotten close, you COULD NOT have missed it. EVERY driver has a rig. Junior probably four or five. Plus Chevy, Ford, etc. Sprint. Hooters. Racing Radios probably three trailers selling and renting scanners. I GOTTA believe there's a hundred easy, when you add in all the food stands etc. That's the kind of thing you do on a Friday or Saturday. Just go around and look at all the neat stuff they have. You probably saved yourself a hundred dollars by not finding the Red Bull trailer! lol. It's a GREAT place to people watch too.

son of a BIIIIIIIITCH. So THAT's where the merch was.

next time... next time. ughhhhh

ProgRocker53
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ProgRocker53 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:34 pm

if you knew me, Gary, you'd understand. I'm a bit of an airhead sometimes.

damn damn damn damn damn.

ProgRocker53
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:35 pm

ProgRocker53 wrote:if you knew me, Gary, you'd understand. I'm a bit of an airhead sometimes.

damn damn damn damn damn.

Hey, when I get to a track, I get so wound up I get goofy too.
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next