Best NASCAR Cup driver today?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who do you feel is the best pure driver active in Sprint Cup in 2008?

14% 14% 
[ 1 ]
14% 14% 
[ 1 ]
43% 43% 
[ 3 ]
14% 14% 
[ 1 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
14% 14% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 7

Best NASCAR Cup driver today?

Post by ProgRocker53 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:18 pm

Who do you feel is the best pure driver active in Sprint Cup in 2008?

ProgRocker53
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best NASCAR Cup driver today?

Post by SDGary on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:07 pm

Pure Driver? I'll list your list in my order.

Kyle Busch
Tony Stewart
Jeff Gordon
Jimmie Johnson
Carl Edwards
Other-Kurt Busch
Greg Biffle
Matt Kenseth
Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Kasey Kahne

Although there obviously is some, I don't see a great deal of drop-off in the top 7. And Kasey has a history like most of the others, so he may eventually prove to be better than I've placed him. I've known Kyle was terrific since BEFORE he was about two laps away from winning a Truck race for Roush when he was 16.

Now, I'm sure you wonder about where I put Kenseth. While he's certainly no slouch, I DON'T think he's the best pure driver. I've heard him modestly admit that many times himself. He's only been racing since he was 16. And has little, if ANY AT ALL dirt track experience until he started running Tony's Prelude to the Dream race. Dirt is where you really learn car control.
To demonstrate what he's up against, you should know Jeff Gordon started racing when he was 5. He was in a 600 horsepower sprint car on dirt when he was 13. He had a six-figure bank account from racing before he was out of high school.
Tony grew up similarly.
Almost all the others started before they were 10.

BUT, if you want to re-do this list by SMARTEST driver, my boy would be on top.
If you doubt me, listen to him for an entire race someday. Not only does he know everything going on with his team, I'll bet he knows what's going on with the other contenders more than some crew chiefs. Almost NOTHING gets past him.

Oh, and I happen to think he's got some class. Which I like.

JMO.
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ProgRocker53 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:27 pm

Ryan Newman is a very similar driver to Kenseth from what I've heard, seen, and read.

Doesn't necessarily have the most actual talent, but he's got a crew chief's mind as a racer. That's a deadly combination.

I've known Kyle Busch was going to be big... actually most NASCAR fans should've known he was going to be big. The last few years I've been thinking, Kyle Busch is going to explode at any time... this year was his explosion. Some of the adversity he's faced and the trials he's had to go through on the track, he pulls through some crazy stuff and always ends up either winning or in the top 5. Ridiculous talent.

ProgRocker53
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:59 pm

ProgRocker53 wrote:Ryan Newman is a very similar driver to Kenseth from what I've heard, seen, and read.

Doesn't necessarily have the most actual talent, but he's got a crew chief's mind as a racer. That's a deadly combination.

I've known Kyle Busch was going to be big... actually most NASCAR fans should've known he was going to be big. The last few years I've been thinking, Kyle Busch is going to explode at any time... this year was his explosion. Some of the adversity he's faced and the trials he's had to go through on the track, he pulls through some crazy stuff and always ends up either winning or in the top 5. Ridiculous talent.

You're right about the crew chief thing. I've ALWAYS thought Matt would be a great one after he quits driving if he wants to try it. He pretty much calls the race from the driver's seat now.

A quick story about Newman. I was at Darlington one year. Gordon's leading, Newman in second. This is the "too tough to tame" track that will reach out and grab you. They're under caution, and Newman's telling his crew chief "Boy, that 24 car's got some trick geometry in their front end. When he goes down into the corner, and the tire sucks up into that front fender, it stays almost perfectly straight."
And I'm thinking WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only way the tire sucks up that much is at speed! You're doing 170MPH at a place so tough you're just supposed to race the track, and you're watching the front tire of the car in front of you as you're entering the turn???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
But yeah, he and Kenseth are somewhat alike that way. They're actually pretty good buddies too. Their wives are like best friends.

As for Busch, I remember telling people last year that any week now he was going to go on a tear and reel off about three or four in a row. They were that close. It just took them a little longer than I thought.
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top