SONOMA!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SONOMA!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by frfksakes on Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:24 pm

Woo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!

Laughing

SDGary wrote:
Some of the best racing goes on in the back of the pack, which you hardly ever see on TV. It irks me something fierce when TV shows the leader, or any other driver, for that matter, in a tight one car shot, driving around by himself. That's not racing!

I hate that!

Or they focus on the bumper of a car (or hood of a car) for extended periods, instead of racing!!

Or cut away to a crowd shot just when things are getting good ,,, lol (The Talladega broadcast was the worst Rolling Eyes )

You'd think all of those racing guy/hosts would get that we want to see racing, even if it's for who's going to be last, lol

Have fun in NC!

Last edited by frfksakes on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
frfksakes
Batboy
Batboy

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SONOMA!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by SDGary on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:12 pm

How about when it seems like a contest to see how many different camera shots they can give you on one lap. This is usually on the first lap, or on a restart. You JUST about find your car in the pack and WHAM!, another camera, so you search again and WHAM!, another camera, another search! This goes on for an entire lap, and you never DO find your car!
Or on a restart, when all the best racing goes on, they show an in-car camera, which ONLY shows the car in front of it. Then the announcers make it worse, by saying how there's racing going on all over the place. Well SHOW IT, Damn it!
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 168

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by frfksakes on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:25 pm

SDGary wrote:How about when it seems like a contest to see how many different camera shots they can give you on one lap. This is usually on the first lap, or on a restart. You JUST about find your car in the pack and WHAM!, another camera, so you search again and WHAM!, another camera, another search! This goes on for an entire lap, and you never DO find your car!
Or on a restart, when all the best racing goes on, they show an in-car camera, which ONLY shows the car in front of it. Then the announcers make it worse, by saying how there's racing going on all over the place. Well SHOW IT, Damn it!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Or - you finally find your guy, he's making a good pass, and BAM, they split the screen and do an interview that could wait till a damn caution! OR to show you someone driving all...................the..................way............. down................................... the pit road on a green flag stop! LOL

Now,,, Caution pits are fun, because they're RACING, lol.

Rolling Eyes Laughing

Last edited by frfksakes on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
frfksakes
Batboy
Batboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:43 pm

It's amazing when you go to a race. You come home, and people start talking about it, and it sounds like a completely different race! Then the questions start. What happened to this guy? What happened to that guy? It's unbelieveable how little TV tells you.
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ProgRocker53 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:46 pm

The streak of streak-breaking will continue this week with either Jeff Gordon or Stewart taking down the checkered flag.

Expect McMurray, Robby Gordon, Allmendinger, Carpentier, and at least one of the "ringers" to be in the mix Sunday as well.

ProgRocker53
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by frfksakes on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:28 pm

ProgRocker53 wrote:The streak of streak-breaking will continue this week with either Jeff Gordon or Stewart taking down the checkered flag.

Expect McMurray, Robby Gordon, Allmendinger, Carpentier, and at least one of the "ringers" to be in the mix Sunday as well.

Man, that all sounds great! lol

I'm counting on lots of black donuts and destroyed grass - though I know I'll have to wait for Watkins Glen for the best of that, lol.

I'm a little stressed, though, because I'm worried about whether the COT will change the road courses as much as it has the other races......

I've been a loooonnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg time NASCAR fan, but this has been one of the most boring seasons I've seen – and I can’t believe it, but I’m starting to lose some interest.
Last wk was a little better, watching Kasey get his groove back was great, and Kyle was fun for a while - But even that is a bit tainted bc somehow Toyota can use the same engines in the Cup and Nationwide cars, but no one else can?? What's up with that? No wonder the Gibbs cars are dominating that series... Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I'm still holding out hope they don't ruin the roadcourses, lol

What does the announcer say " I kid because I care"

Well, I guess that's why I've been complaining so much this year... Laughing
frfksakes
Batboy
Batboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:33 pm

They ran the COT at both road courses last year.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by the engines. Every manufactuer uses their engines in both series. The Nationwide engines have a tapered spacer (a little like a restrictor plate), but they all use them.

I'm sorry if I'm getting all technical. I know that doesn't mean much to a lot of fans. I'm just one of those nerds. clown
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by frfksakes on Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:35 pm

SDGary wrote:They ran the COT at both road courses last year.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by the engines. Every manufactuer uses their engines in both series. The Nationwide engines have a tapered spacer (a little like a restrictor plate), but they all use them.

I'm sorry if I'm getting all technical. I know that doesn't mean much to a lot of fans. I'm just one of those nerds. clown

Lol, I don't mind technical. It might be Greek to me, but I like learning...

As for the engines... I'm going by what was said during one of the broadcasts..
I'll check, but I think it was Rusty Wallace and one of the ex-crew chief announcers-
They are the ones who said that normally the engines are different, (I think mostly in relation to horsepower, but maybe not) - And that they were confused/ a bit miffed that Toyota gets to use the same engines for both series. Again, if I understood and remember correctly, lol, I think they were implying that Toyota somehow is getting away with using the same horsepower engines in both series, while everyone else has to use different horsepower engines in the two series...

But you know, I've heard similar complaints about Toyota having a horsepower advantage in the Cup series, so I wonder if it's just sour grapes, lol.
I.e., Maybe Toyota has just figured out how to get more HP from their engines....

Since you're a Techy, maybe you could research the complaints. I'd love to know the truth.

And as for the COT - Even in the races where the COT ran well last year, they haven't done so this year. So, week-to-week, I just don't know what to expect this year.
I know a lot of drivers are doing well, but the cars seem so ridiculously sensitive to changes, etc..

& While Kenseth is starting to do well, he and so many of the best drivers from the last few years have just been flat.

And if it’s not the cars, I'm curious what your techy brain, lol, thinks is so different from the last few years?

Or why it seems like one car at a time will dominate at different times during different races, but there’s rarely any real racing.
The difference is just so dramatic.

Maybe I just need to become a Nascarhead like you, lol, and just give up on trying to enjoy it on TV….
Wink

Last edited by frfksakes on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
frfksakes
Batboy
Batboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:33 am

Well, for starters, Toyota's engines were brand new last year. And I do mean brand new. While the others, Ford's in particular, are based on an old production engine, Toyota has never even had a OHV (over head valve) V-8 in any car or truck they've ever built. It's a very old style engine that's hardly used in anything anymore. But it's the same basic engine Nascar has used for 50 years. Therefore, when they built an engine to fit the rules, they started with a clean sheet of paper. Chevy had a new engine last year, and Dodge's is a few years old now. But Toyota's is state-of-the-art; at least for this style engine. And it shows. I've heard Nascar competitors discussing engines, and even the Toyota teams won't deny they "might" have more power.The rest are sure of it. But as far as I know, they use the same ones for the Cup and Nationwide Series, although like I said, all the Nationwide engines use a form of restrictor. BTW, Ford and Dodge will have new engines next year.

Also, after re-reading your post, the Cup and Nationwide engines ARE different as far as horsepower. But as far as parts and pieces, they're the same. They use smaller carburetors and less compression, that's all. (And that "restrictor".)
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by frfksakes on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:06 am

Thanks for that, great info!

You know, writing that post got me thinking about something kind of related….

I’m wondering if much of the cause (for the differences between the two seasons), isn’t just a case of old guard/new guard.

In Toyota - who jumped in at just the right time for the major car change,
with fresh eyes & minds –
vs. Chevy, etc, being entrenched in the old ways/cars that worked so well for so long – but are now obsolete…

Some Ford and Dodge teams do seem to be catching up a little, though…

And even among the drivers themselves…

Everything’s pretty new to relative newbies like Kyle and Carl, so getting use to the new car is just another thing among many, to get a handle on..

Where as their fairly old-guard teammates with the same equipment, like Tony, and even Kenseth a little bit, are struggling because they had the old car/ old ways down pat, so adapting to the change is more difficult…

Not to mention Jeff Gordon, and even all of Hendrick, which is one big old guard, lol..

Blah, blah, blah… just thinking aloud,,, what do you think?

And I’d still like to know your thoughts on the “why it seems like one car at a time will dominate at different times during different races, but there’s rarely any real racing?” question…

I miss the close fights for the win - like Martinsville last year, and a lot of the truck races now

Last edited by frfksakes on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
frfksakes
Batboy
Batboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:14 pm

Man, I just blew a huge reply off the screen! Mad
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:50 pm

Ok, let's try again. I think you're exactly right!
Everybody said Gibbs was crazy going to Toyota. I think it was perfect. Everybody is still learning the COT, and all they had to do was change engines and decals. And we know how the Toyota engines are working out.
As for the drivers, remember when Jimmie Johnson came along and was faster than Gordon? They were trying new setups, and they worked for Jimmie. So they gave them to Jeff, and they didn't. Just like you said. Just like Tony hasn't been as fast as Kyle, and Matt wasn't as fast as Carl. Matt is catching up, but I KNOW he was having trouble driving those things. He's very smooth, and Kyle and Carl like to throw loose cars around.
As far as one car dominating at different times, I was at Texas when Matt got the lead and stretched it out. Then, on a restart, John Paul Montana (That's what Kenseth's spotter calls Montoya) punted Matt out of the lead, and he never got it back. He finished 9th that day, and he was saying during the race they were just a top ten car. But he said leading was probably worth about .3 a lap because of the clean air. These things make such a big hole in the air and have so much less downforce that the car behind evidently has more trouble passing.
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by frfksakes on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:34 pm

Only have a second, but long enough to say Have a great weekend!,,,,
Thank you, Gary! And,,,,

SO-NO-MA!! Woo-hooooo!! Laughing

tc
frfksakes
Batboy
Batboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ProgRocker53 on Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:20 am

Marcos Ambrose will lead laps and take down a top 10 in his first career Cup race, and will run full-time in either the #21 car or a Yates ride next year.

You heard it here first.

ProgRocker53
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cat on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:45 am

frfksakes wrote:
[...]
You'd think all of those racing guy/hosts would get that we want to see racing, [...]

Yeah.

Left turn ...... left turn .......... left turn ....... pit stop ........... left turn ....... left turn ......... left turn ..............

**duck**
**snert**
Wink
Cat

Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Number of posts : 1598

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:56 am

cat wrote:
frfksakes wrote:
[...]
You'd think all of those racing guy/hosts would get that we want to see racing, [...]

Yeah.

Left turn ...... left turn .......... left turn ....... pit stop ........... left turn ....... left turn ......... left turn ..............

**duck**
**snert**
Wink
Cat

Once you find out all that's going on during a race, you'll see that all those "left turn"s are almost incidental. It's like watching a baseball game, and just seeing them play catch, or getting into every situation, every pitch. Some people are into it big time, some just go to party. And you can go anywhere you want in between intense and casual, in either sport.
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cat on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:00 am

SDGary wrote:
cat wrote:
frfksakes wrote:
[...]

Yeah.

**duck**
**snert**
Wink
Cat

Once you find out all that's going on during a race, you'll see that all those "left turn"s are almost incidental. It's like watching a baseball game, and just seeing them play catch, or getting into every situation, every pitch. Some people are into it big time, some just go to party. And you can go anywhere you want in between intense and casual, in either sport.

Just for the record, my father took me to Indy for the first time when I was about 10 (with pit passes) - went every year until he passed when I was 21.

Since then, I have watched many a race and enjoy them both on tv and at the track.

Cat

Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by frfksakes on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:32 am

cat wrote:
frfksakes wrote:
[...]

Yeah.

**duck**
**snert**
Wink
Cat

First of all, shows what you know - at Sonoma, they go right as well, so there tongue

And secondly,

hope you're still ducking, heheh, (NOT!) Twisted Evil

& for me, even when they are just going around in circles, lol, it's what happens when four of them are trying to make the left turn at the same time, that is the real fun, lol... Wink

Laughing
frfksakes
Batboy
Batboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:46 am

cat wrote:
SDGary wrote:
cat wrote:
frfksakes wrote:
[...]

Yeah.

**duck**
**snert**
Wink
Cat

Just for the record, my father took me to Indy for the first time when I was about 10 (with pit passes) - went every year until he passed when I was 21.

Since then, I have watched many a race and enjoy them both on tv and at the track.

Cat

I enjoy Indycar races too. I've been to many of them at various tracks. I've been to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but never for a race there. While I KNOW the experience of an Indy 500 has to be an enormous thrill, I hope you've seen racing at other tracks too. Because if that's the only place you've seen a race, you're missing out on much of the enjoyment we're talking about. Being able to SEE 43 stockcars, on a smaller track that's entirely visible from your vantage point, along with listening to your favorite team discuss strategy on the radio, can make what looks like a boring 500 mile race incredibly exciting!
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cat on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:15 pm

SDGary wrote:
cat wrote:
SDGary wrote:
cat wrote:
frfksakes wrote:
[...]

Yeah.

**duck**
**snert**
Wink
Cat

Cat

I enjoy Indycar races too. I've been to many of them at various tracks. I've been to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but never for a race there. While I KNOW the experience of an Indy 500 has to be an enormous thrill, I hope you've seen racing at other tracks too. Because if that's the only place you've seen a race, you're missing out on much of the enjoyment we're talking about. Being able to SEE 43 stockcars, on a smaller track that's entirely visible from your vantage point, along with listening to your favorite team discuss strategy on the radio, can make what looks like a boring 500 mile race incredibly exciting!

Please folkls!!!

first of all it was light comedy - take it as it was given

Second of all yes I have seen hundreds of races at many different tracks (the phrase "many a race" does not indicate limitation) - stock - nascar (horse races - silks to sulkies; boat races (my father also owned and raced cigarettes [now know as "go fast boats" thanks to Miami Vice]

While I am sure it is all well intended, allow this thread to continue in an appreciation of racing.

Cat

Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:21 pm

Ok. I wasn't pissed. And I didn't know how involved you had been. Also, hopefully, you and I aren't the only ones reading this. I know there's tons of people out there who completely believe what it turns out you were joking about. Any time I can interest someone in racing, I try to do all I can. I'm sorry if I came across as harsh. It wasn't meant that way at all.
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cat on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:38 pm

SDGary wrote:what it turns out you were joking about.

No harm done. Your concern is appreciated.

Actually, I believe the joke started with our all-too-recently departed George Carlin. Crying or Very sad

Nope - no sad faces - remember him and laugh. Laughing

Cat

Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by frfksakes on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:30 pm

cat wrote:

Please folkls!!!

first of all it was light comedy - take it as it was given

While I am sure it is all well intended, allow this thread to continue in an appreciation of racing.

Cat

as was I,,, but I thought that was obvious...

As is, that this is a thread about the appreciation of racing,,, even if people don't agree - in jest or not Wink
frfksakes
Batboy
Batboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistiejourney on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:21 pm

You know you are going to be in for a long race when your guy is has no hydraulics in his transmission on the pace lap! Very Happy

That's what happened to Kasey and then I decided to keep an eye on Elliott instead and he gets a flat four laps to the end!

From pole to the hole - what a roller coaster for Kasey!
Mistiejourney
Batboy
Batboy

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile http://www.emergiblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SDGary on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:48 pm

Well, to say I was pleasantly surprised at my boy Kenseth's effort would be a HUGE understatement! I think he'd be the first to admit road courses are his worst type of track. I was worried how much ground we were going to lose in our effort to get into the top twelve. I'll be DAMNED if he didn't go from 33rd starting position to pull out his first ever top ten (8th) at Sonoma, AND move into the top twelve in the process! Now, I hope we can continue to climb, not fall back!
SDGary
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next